Frederick "Fred" J. Nierode
Born in Grafton, Wisconsin on Apr 04, 1923
Died on May 23, 2017 and resided in Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Frederick J. Nierode, formerly of 321 Timberlake Road, Town of Wilson in Sheboygan County died on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at the age of 94. Fred was born on April 4,1923, the son of Ferdinand and Dorothea Nierode. He was united in marriage to Patricia Rosenow of Niagara, Wl on June 9,1951. Fred and Pat are the parents of six sons.
Fred graduated from Grafton, WI High School in June of 1942. He then attended Augustana College in Rock Island, IL for one semester, during which time he enlisted in the U.S. Army. Following basic training in Tampa, FL, he was enrolled in an engineering program at the military college of the south, The Citadel, in Charleston, S.C. When that program was closed in preparation for "D" day in the invasion in France, he was sent to Camp Chaffee, AR for preparation as a cannoneer in the Field Artillery Division.
In 1944, the 76th Infantry Division, training at Camp McCoy was ready to go into action in the war, and Fred was transferred to that Division as a cannoneer in the 901st Field Artillery Battalion. In combat the Division was attached to General George Patton's 3rd Army where the Division was awarded three battle stars as they fought their way through Germany to meet the Russians on the Elbe River. Fred also served as the interpreter for the Battalion because he could speak German, not only during the war but also briefly in the U. S. Army of Occupation. With the war still going on in Japan, the 76th Infantry Division was attached to the 30th Infantry Division, destination Japan. While waiting for a ship to transport the Division, the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, and the war was over, and Fred returned to New York instead on the Queen Mary ship of England.
Following honorable discharge from the Army on New Years Day, 1946, Fred attended the University of Wisconsin in Madison where he met Pat in May of 1948 at an event called WORK DAY, cleaning up the shores of Lake Mendota. They both graduated in 1949 with Pat accepting a job as a social worker in Marinette County and Fred returning to the UW to earn his master's degree in business education. For three years Fred taught business education classes in Amberg, Bruce, and Eau Claire High Schools, and following that he worked as a Business Education Specialist for the United States Armed Forces Institute in Madison, USAFI, the world's largest correspondence school for men and women in service. In 1956, Fred decided he wanted to get back into classroom teaching and accepted a position as Business Education Coordinator at the Sheboygan Vocational School.
Taking over a department that had no courses, programs, or students and old typewriters and desks, in seven years, Fred had built up a successful business education program, and when Jacob Spies retired as Director of the School in 1963, Fred was selected as Director. He now had the responsibility for all of the school—Business Education, Distributive Education, Trade and Industry, Apprenticeship, and Homemaking. The school continued to grow and was retitled the Sheboygan Technical Institute. In 1965, the State Board approved the school as a Comprehensive Technical Institute with the ability to develop current and future programs as associate degrees.
In 1967, Fred was selected to be the District Director of the newly created VTAE District 11 comprised of Sheboygan, Manitowoc and Ozaukee counties. Ozaukee chose to be attached to the MATC district in Milwaukee, so Fred now had to develop plans to get Sheboygan and Manitowoc counties to work together in their governments, labor unions, teachers, students and the general public. He did, and thus was created the new campus built in Cleveland, Wl following a successful referendum in November of 1971. In 1987, the title of the school was changed from Lakeshore Technical Institute to Lakeshore Technical College and thus Fred became the first President of the college dating back to 1956 when he first began employment at the Sheboygan Vocational School. In May of 1988, the Lakeshore District Board passed a resolution announcing that the Trade and Industry building would be renamed the Nierode Trade and Industry Center. After 32 years of service to the school, Fred retired on June 30, 1988.
Fred belonged to many local, state, and national organizations. He was a member of the American Legion Rose-Harms Post # 355 in Grafton. When he had time, he enjoyed playing with his sons and neighborhood children in his well-equipped backyard, sand boxes, and hiking in the Kohler woods and walking along the Lake Michigan beach. His hobby was music and the collection of Big Band and classical records, cassettes, CD's, DVD's, and video tapes, many of which he recorded off the radio and TV.
In July of 1988, both Fred and Pat (Social Worker for the Sheboygan Area School District) retired into their life of leisure in ballroom dancing to the Big Bands of Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Sammy Kaye, Woody Herman, Dick Jurgens, Eddie Howard, and Johnny Kaye. Now Fred can be dancing with the stars in heaven.
In addition to his wife, Pat, Fred is survived by their five sons Kevin (Mary) of Colorado Springs, CO; Craig (Elena) of Glen Allen, VA; Scott of Green Bay, Bruce (Susie) of Sheboygan, and Kurt (Annette) of Gleason, WI. In addition, he is survived by grandchildren Laura, Gregory, Alexandra, Amanda, sister Doris Schlegel of Cedarburg, WI, and many nephews and nieces. Fred was preceded in death by his mother and father of Grafton, a son Stephan in Bruce, WI in 1952, brothers Harold of Milwaukee and Earl of Prairie Du Sac, and sister Lillian Stutsman of Lutz, FL.
In accordance to Fred’s wishes, a private service will be held.
In lieu of flowers, memorials preferred to Lakeshore Technical College Foundation and Our Saviors Lutheran Church in Sheboygan.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.
St MATTHEW V, CHAPTER V. v. 16
Sign Guest Book / Write Condolence